Thank You for Praying

Thank you for the many prayers for Melinda's Daddy. He is now HOME with the Lord. For his story, please visit his CaringBridge site.

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Being Flexible

Well, remember the shoe story... well it seemed like God was going to test out my attitude shortly after posting it! =0) Wasn't that nice!? hee hee!

We had lots of plans for certain things at certain times this past weekend with Olivia's birthday & Danny visiting. Well, they were all jumbled up thanks to a BAD storm here Saturday night that knocked our power out which in turn makes our water not work since the pump that brings the water up from the well is electric! Plus our home phone didn't work since we only have cordless (bad idea). So... the planned Saturday night family birthday dinner & party was postponed! Instead we went out to Pizza Hut to eat. (Olivia had requested to eat there after church on Sunday.) So no one was really too sad about those change of plans. This did postpone Olivia opening her presents... you can't take good pictures in candlelight! =0) Yes... it is all about the pictures! ha! Olivia was very understanding!

So Sunday after church, we ate the planned dinner from the night before after church (it was all ready except the final baking when the power went out). Then we finished decorating her cake & had her little party, too! THEN finally, she got to open her gifts! So all went well!

How did I pass the test? Well, I did okay. I wouldn't say I passed with flying colors, but I did okay. Actually, I think I did great until we got home from Pizza Hut & our power was still off & it was now dark and HOT. We were expecting the electricity to come on at any minute (per the electric company's recording)! Well, it didn't. So we're searching for flashlights, batteries, candles, etc. Trying to keep the kids calm in this fun adventure, get them ready for bed with no flushing toilets (ick), etc. This is when my grade took a few punches, I'm afraid! But all in all, I think I passed!

After the kids were in bed, I called the electric company again. Now they were saying it would be Sunday at 11 a.m. before it would be back on... so now we're thinking we won't be able to flush toilets for how much longer? double ick!! And now has this made going to church out of the question?

Danny & Dano decided to go to Wal-Mart to buy cheap water so we could at least flush the toilets. Before dark Dano did try to go get some water from the pond, but it is too shallow & muddy around the edges for him to get any without getting muck up to his knees... and since he wouldn't be able to wash off... well, you understand why they went to buy water to flush down the toilet!

With the windows open, it wasn't too awfully hot since the storm had cooled it off a bit, but thankfully around midnight we were awoken by the sound of electricity! Ahhhhhhhh. I really love electricity & running water! Such nice perks!

So, we were able to go to church, etc. on Sunday morning with clean kids & brushed teeth! Yea!

So, how are you doing on the "being flexible" end of things?

Blessings,
Melinda =0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm learning about flexibility; it's not as easy as I had hoped it would be :) I'm glad to hear that you all are doing well! It is always a blessing to read about the lessons you are learning as you share them with all of us (who knows, I just might learn from someone else's experience and not have to learn the hard way for a change!). =o)
~Jillian