Drum roll please.......
Several of you were right! They are figs! Good job! Maggie, I think since you've never had a pomegranate, that was a good guess! They are red on the inside, but they are also red on the outside & about the size of a baseball or softball... somewhere in between. Also, you can't eat them right off a tree. They are hard work to get to the fruit... actually, just pulpy seeds, but they are good! You ought to get one if you see them in the grocery. They are great in salads... fruit or lettuce! My kids love them.
Well, back to the figs. I picked 80 in less than 20 minutes... so that is the number in the bucket! I was shocked to have that many when I counted. Most of the time was spent trying to reach the ripe ones & getting inside the tree to get some more. And of course being very cautious! I was afraid of stepping on a snake or something! Eek! Thankfully, I didn't see any!
Figs are supposed to be excellent for you. I read something the other day that they are just filled with all kinds of wonderful things & fiber, too! I was looking for recipes, but I don't know if I'm going to make something with them or just eat them fresh. Our first 80 are gone... NO we didn't eat them all! We ate a lot, & I gave some away today to several people up at the JAARS pool. Dano also took a few to work.
You kind of have to convince someone to eat one. They don't look very appetizing! And at first the whole texture thing is a little weird. They are kind of soft (like I can't think of an example) and fuzzy (like a peach). So if you can overcome that, they are really quite scrumptious!
So, thanks for playing my game with me. That was fun to have y'all guessing & displaying your knowledge!
I never in a million years would have guessed or known they were figs!
If you live in the area, come pick some!! =0)
Blessings,
Melinda =0)
PS Scroll down & look at those close up pictures of the leaves... now imagine those sewn together & you've just seen what Adam & Eve first wore after their VERY BAD choice! (Gen 3:7)
1 comment:
I like Fig Newtons but not figs by themselves for some reason. :-)
Post a Comment