Thank You for Praying

Thank you for the many prayers for Melinda's Daddy. He is now HOME with the Lord. For his story, please visit his CaringBridge site.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Our Luna Moth Caterpillar



Okay, it isn't "our" caterpillar, but he was on "our" tree! =0) Kelly & I saw him when we got back last Sunday from Wal-Mart. Thankfully Dano hadn't put the kids down for nap yet, so they all got to come out & look at him, too! He was so cool! As you can see, he was at least 3 1/4 inches long. You know how caterpillars are... they squish up then stretch out. In the picture with the ruler, he is almost all stretched out, but he could have stretched a little more.
I don't remember ever seeing one of these caterpillars in person before. They are really beautiful. I'm not sure if you can tell in the picture, but they are kind of transparent green. Also, near his tummy he has bright orange dots. And his feet are such great little suckers... such strength! At the end of his body, there is a bright purple stripe. If you click on the first picture, it should enlarge the picture & you can see some of these things.
I keep hoping we'll get to see him as a moth, too, or at least one of his buddies! Then today I was thinking that is kind of how life is... we meet people in all stages of life... and people have met me in many different stages. Hopefully, like a caterpillar, we're all moving forward in our growth... egg, caterpillar, cocoon, moth, then reproducing continuing the cycle. Hopefully, we're not stuck in the egg stage or any other. Hopefully we're all reproducing spiritually as we lead others into a relationship with Christ and help mentor those & others along in their path.
Also, I want to remember when I meet new people that I do not know which stage they are in. I do not need to be quick to judge... that's not my job (thankfully). I hope people will remember that when meeting me... I may not be in the final stage yet... but hopefully I'm progressing!
Finally, I may meet people in the caterpillar stage & never see them again... like we may never see our caterpillar turn into a beautiful Luna moth. However, I need to embrace the person where they are, appreciate their present beauty, and just encourage them in their growth. To always be longing for something that is not present can lead to many disappointments. Changing people is God's job... not mine; know what I mean!?
Enjoy the little movie, too!
Love,
Melinda =0)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Melinda, I needed to hear that today :)
-Jillian