Well, the new year challenge is going well. So far (okay, today is just the 4th) we've been reading our "assigned" reading. Well, today's hasn't been finished, but before the day is up, I'm hoping it will be.
I just wanted to share this observation I made yesterday. And I wanted to know if I was completely off! =0)
When I was reading chapter 11 in Genesis, I realized that it appears that Noah was still alive when Abram (later Abraham) was born! There are quite a few generations between them, but according to the ages given, Noah was alive for 58 years after Abram's birth. (I think that is what I figured. I don't have my journal in front of me.)
Now, I'm not saying you should go to court swearing on this information, but if my math & thinking are right, that is what it says. Have any of you ever heard this before? I don't remember ever hearing it!
Of course, nothing is really said about it in the Bible, so it may be no big deal. But think of the faith of Noah. He obeyed God EXACTLY the way He commanded. You never hear Noah questioning God or anything. Now, think if Abram grew up at his knee... he could have learned a lot about faith and obedience from him.
However, if you are familiar with Abram (Abraham), you know he is remembered in the book of Hebrews as a great man of faith... but he had his moments, didn't he? Remember him telling his wife to lie about their marriage? Remember him not being patient & trying to work things out in his own timing regarding children? There were other instances, too. Finally, when God told him to sacrifice his son, he had learned to obey God without question! Wow, didn't God reward him for that faith and obedience!?
Well, that is all I really have to say. I wonder how much of a personal impact Noah had on Abraham... or maybe he just got to hear the stories passed down by generation after generation and never met his great, great, great, etc. great grandpa.
BUT I wonder how much of an impact WE are having on our own little generation in our home or our family & friends who surround us. How much have we learned about faith and obedience from our family (whether by positive or negative example)? Are we obeying immediately without questioning God? Are we stepping out in faith when it makes no sense at all? Are we teaching our children to obey US without question, immediately (ouch). I know I give way too many chances!
Father, help me to be a better mom, teaching my children to obey me the same way you want me to obey you SO THAT one day (or even today) when you call my children to obey you, they will obey just as Noah did... without question!
Have a great Sunday!
Blessings,
Melinda =0)
No comments:
Post a Comment