This morning I was reading Philippians 1 in my quiet time. I've just recently committed to getting up early (again) before the kids to have my quiet time with the Lord. It just doesn't happen if I don't start out with it. Also, my friend and I are going to hold each other accountable for memorizing Philippians, so I thought I would spend my quiet time in this New Testament book learning what Paul had to say to the Philippians and what God has to say to me.
As I'm sure you know, Dano & I are full-time faith supported missionaries. Of course, this means the only salary we receive is from gifts from individuals and a few churches. So we are COMPLETELY dependent on God through the family of God partnering with us in ministry. As we've been transitioning from our former mission organization to Wycliffe, our support has been low as the economy has been low and as our partners are in the process of transitioning over. So each month, we are curious to see how God will stretch what we receive to cover our bills and grocery costs. Normally, this is not something that stresses me. I KNOW God will provide. However, I must confess lately this area has been getting to me. Month after month of being short, is challenging. Actually, it is very discouraging. Then when you can't do "normal" things because of the costs involved; it is frustrating. However, we press on because we KNOW God has called us to this ministry, and we will obey. Also, we press on because God is always faithful. We have such amazing stories of how God provides through His people. We are truly blessed!
Now back to this morning. As I was reading Philippians chapter 1, my heart was encouraged by Paul's words to the church of Philippi. Verses 3 - 6 in chapter 1 were both a challenge to me and a point of prayer. I know we do not thank our partners enough for their investment in our ministry. For that I am ashamed. Secondly, I wrote a prayer in my journal about this portion of the scripture. Here is part of my prayer...
"Father, you alone are my God, the one I depend on and trust for all our needs. You have promised to supply all our needs, and I know you will. Thank you. Father, raise people up to partner with us. Put a burning desire in their hearts that won't be quenched until they commit to partner with us and start supporting us. ..."
I wrote that prayer before 7 a.m. this morning.
God gave me TWO answers to this prayer today.
The first one came in an unexpected phone call from a friend in Florida. Just as we were leaving to take Emma to speech, my cell phone rings. A friend was calling because she thought I had called her! (I hadn't.) But the funny thing is Dano & I had been talking about how we needed to call her for her recent gifts to our ministry. I guess the Holy Spirit decided to make this call since we weren't getting around to it! While on this SHORT phone call, she expressed to me that she was committing to give us that "special" gift monthly! Wow! Thanks, God!
After speech, we went to the chiropractor, then we met Dano at the hangar for lunch. After lunch, we were walking around showing the kids the Kodiak. Dano told me that another missionary at the hangar mentioned to him that her and her husband (who also works at the hangar) had been burdened to start supporting us! (They are also faith supported missionaries!) I literally teared up! I asked him if she had told him this today. He confirmed that. I then told him about my prayer that I shared with you above. We went to tell her about God's timing in all of this. She told us that God had laid it on both hers and her husband's hearts individually this weekend! Don't you love how God is working before we pray, and isn't it neat that she didn't share this with Dano yesterday? She shared it today... after my prayer! I love how God works!
I am so thankful that the Lord doesn't condemn me for weaknesses and moments of weak faith. Instead, He waits patiently. He uses members of His body to encourage me. He uses His Word to speak to me. He uses prayer to change me! Why do we neglect being in His Word? Why do I neglect being in His Word? Father, forgive me. Thank you for your Living Water!
May you be encouraged to be in HIS Word and spending time in prayer. May you seek to bring HIM Glory in all you do! Father, forgive me where I fall short. Thank you for your Grace! Help me in this journey towards you.
Blessings,
Melinda =0)
2 comments:
WOW...!!!...!!! THANK GOODNESS THE "HOLY SPIRIT" CALLED THE LADY IN FLORIDA!!! "AMAZING GRACE" IS TRULY AMAZING. AS GOD WORKS IN ONE HEART...HE'S ALSO WORKING IN OTHERS, MAYBE HERE, MAYBE THERE, JUST EVERYWHERE, SOMETIMES FOR THE SAME PURPOSE...HE JUST ANSWERED ONE OF MY PRAYERS MULTIPLIED!!! I LOVE TO LINGER ON THE THOUGHT OF JUST HOW "AMAZING" "HIS GRACE" REALLY IS!!!!!!!!LOVE...GRANNY
Girl, thanks for telling me to read this! I needed this. God is truly Awesome. Lynn
Post a Comment