Thank You for Praying

Thank you for the many prayers for Melinda's Daddy. He is now HOME with the Lord. For his story, please visit his CaringBridge site.

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cookies Anyone?


Looking at these pictures, you realize these are NOT cookies, right? Unfortunately, my two year old was not so wise! That's right! He gave them a little sampling! Thankfully, they're made from Crayola's non-toxic air-dry clay! Boy, I just never realized how WONDERFUL the words "non-toxic" were until I had kids!! =0)

So, you may be saying... I know they aren't cookies, but WHAT are they?

Olivia, Derek, and I are reading/learning about Sumerians for history. We're learning about the invention of writing. Well, the Sumerians did their writing on clay tablets using reeds. So we thought we'd make some of our own. After they kneaded their clay and formed it into a tablet, the kids decided what they wanted to "say" on their tablet. Then they used sticks to write their message using their own symbols. Just as we were finishing, Wesley got up from his nap. This was WAY too messy for him to do at this point. But he was VERY interested. I quenched his desire to do the clay with the opportunity to paint with water colors. There shortly after, the clay mess was all cleaned up, and the tablets were sitting on the counter to dry. It was time for me to make dinner. Dano was home. The kids went out to play. Wesley gladly left the paints for the great outdoors. That was yesterday.

Today, Derek was VERY interested in his clay tablet. I told him to leave it on the counter. It wasn't quite dry yet. Well, unfortunately he didn't obey. He took it to his desk. I didn't realize this! Enter Wesley (unbeknownst to me).

Just before lunch, Derek comes in very distressed (I mean crying and everything). He's holding HALF of his clay tablet. The next thing I see is Wesley smiling with a face that answers most of my questions! It is covered with the white/gray clay... mouth, tongue, and teeth... covered! All he's saying is, "It's a cooo-kie."


So, I'm torn between several things. #1 verifying that the clay IS non-toxic. #2 consoling my 6 year old since his project is half eaten. #3 lecturing my 6 year old for disobeying and putting his tablet at his desk. #4 spanking my 2 year old for eating his brother's tablet. #5 calling Crayola to verify that non-toxic really means it is okay that my son eats it. #6 laughing. #7 and of course, taking a picture of Wesley's face! I think I managed to do all of these except spank Wesley. Instead I made him a cup of water and encouraged him to drink the water then spit in the toilet. I also washed him off (after the picture, of course)!

Up until about 8 pm tonight, I thought Wesley had eaten HALF of the tablet... YUCK! But when I got home from picking up Olivia from church & picking up a couple of things from Wal-Mart, two halves of Derek's tablet were on the kitchen counter! Dano said Virginia found it in the basket of toys! Yes, Virginia is our 6 mo old! Dano said she turned the basket over, and he heard her smacking on something... yes, it was the tablet! Surely, it CANNOT taste good! Nonetheless, kids put things in their mouths, regardless of taste. Once again... thank you AMERICA for labeling things "non-toxic."

So there is a little "snap-shot" of a "normal" day in our lives!

BTW, Olivia's tablet is a note to her friend. It says something about them being friends, and Olivia liking her. Derek's means, I see a giraffe (his face, an eyeball, & a giraffe).

Have a blessed day!

Melinda =0)

PS Hopefully Derek was reminded of some verses we are often saying around our house:

Ephesians 6:1-3
1Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2"Honor your father and mother"—which is the first commandment with a promise— 3"that it may go well with you and that you may enjoy long life on the earth."

Things did NOT go so well with him & his tablet due to his disobedience. God's Word is TRUE!

No comments: