Sketch Tuesday, in a nutshell, is an assignment to draw something on a particular topic then send in the sketches to Harmony Art Mom. She then posts them at flickr, and the kids can watch a slide show of their "published" art along with the art of other children. The only requirement is to have fun! =0) I like that! The kids LOVE watching the slide show even though our internet connection here makes it REALLY slow!
My kids are very artistic... they LOVE to draw and create. Can I be honest with you?? Art is NOT an area I am strong in... in being artistic OR in teaching. I never had a REAL art class... and it is just not a gift... in any area of the arts. I am VERY left-brained! However, God has given me these right-brained children! They are a gift! They teach me! So I want to do Sketch Tuesday for them... so they have an assignment to complete (okay that part is for me) and so they have something that maybe stretches them. I *hope* to one day expand the teaching part of this area when we do this to teach them about shading and contours and other things I really know nothing about, but for now... I just want to give the opportunity to use as many different mediums as they want to complete it with it still falling under the "sketch" category.
I'm really awful at letting them get out the art supplies... you know... they make big messes! But REALLY, I am getting better! Right now they have the options of JUST a pencil sketch, coloring with crayons, markers, color pencils, watercolor color pencils, oil pastels (you know those really weird crayon things that are so messy), or painting with watercolors. We have poster paints, too, but that REALLY takes major adult supervision with the younger ones. Maybe one week we'll do a special poster paint project... but not this week! ;0)
Anyway... I thought maybe I would post last week's pictures and this week's pictures that the kids did. I really like them... but of course, I am their mom. But I thought their aunts and uncles and grandparents and others who know them might enjoy seeing them, too. PLUS... I was thinking this would be a "quick" post... but look at all that typing I've already done... gee! Next time it shouldn't be such a long post because I won't have to explain WHAT we're doing! =0)
Last week the topic was "Kitchen Drawer" which can be interpreted however the artist wants to! This week the topic was "Athlete."
![]() |
Emma (7) took out a fork, spoon, & knife to sketch
them. Then she drew a draw around
them. She added her color with
markers. I think it is beautiful. She has an “eye” for things.
|
![]() |
Olivia (10.5) who LOVES everything in the kitchen drawers
chose some of the items she often uses and sketched them. She then used the watercolors to add color
and a plaid table cloth.
|
![]() |
Derek’s athlete picture is just a pencil sketch of the “tools”
used by an athlete.
|
![]() |
Emma’s sketch and watercolor painting is of a soccer game
with some beautiful mountains in the background.
|
![]() |
Wesley’s athlete drawing is adorable in my opinion! LOL!
It is Gators vs. Panthers…literally, I guess!
|









3 comments:
I love these and can't wait to see more. What a great idea to encourage drawing and an artful eye, which helps us see what they are seeing in the world around them. Love ya, Aunt Shell
Since you and others can identify almost all the objects in these beautiful sketches, they far exceed any "art" I have ever done. I can paint a picture with words but cannot draw. This only gives me greater appreciation of all, young and old who can. I love books because there is is an illustrator and author both who receive credit for the work, equally. Melinda, I hope you are smiling. Precious times. S
I just love all these pictures. The kiddo's do such great creative work..each according to their age.
The 2 youngest really brought a "big smile" putting on paper to see through their eyes!! all of them really. loved..look forward to more. :)gma
Post a Comment