I'm looking for some help! Maybe YOU can help me. You see, I've been contemplating this question for some time. Did God ever call anyone in the Bible to do something "practical?" I personally cannot think of any examples, but I know that I am far from a Bible scholar. Perhaps you can think of some BIBLICAL examples when God called someone to do something "practical."
From my years of Bible study and teaching, the only stories I can recall are the ones where God called people to do things that were NOT "practical." Isn't that where faith comes to play, anyway? If God asks someone to do something "practical," it doesn't require much faith, huh? If it is "practical," does that person really need God? Of course, everyone NEEDS God… but if it is a project, a calling, a mission that you can handle on your own because it makes sense, then would you call on God? And doesn't God receive Glory when the impractical, the impossible is accomplished?
Here are some examples that are NOT "practical" that I can think of off the top of my head. Peter getting out of the boat to walk on water, Noah building the Ark, Abraham taking Isaac to the altar, Jesus praying over 5 loaves & 2 fish to feed thousands then telling the disciples to pick up the leftovers in baskets, Nehemiah rebuilding the walls, Joshua & the Israelites walking around Jericho, Joseph leaving for Egypt in the middle of the night with Mary & Jesus, etc. This list is easy. It can go on and on. But when I try to think of ONE "practical" thing… I'm at a loss.
Well, those are my ponderings. I hope you'll let me know if you can think of any BIBLICAL examples of God calling someone to do the "practical." If you CANNOT think of any, please let me know that, too. Thank you!! I REALLY hope to see your entries!
2 comments:
The action may not seem practical, but the results often were: e.g., Moses striking the rock for water, turning the bitter water to sweet at Mara, Peter taking money from the fish's mouth to pay taxes, the widow's flour and oil did not deplete itself so she could feed her children.
He called Nehemiah to lead the effort to rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
He also called His people to do many practical things, but for spiritual purposes usually. (See Leviticus and Deuteronomy).
Let me know if that helps!]
Post a Comment