Thank You for Praying

Thank you for the many prayers for Melinda's Daddy. He is now HOME with the Lord. For his story, please visit his CaringBridge site.

Sunday, August 23, 2009

All Dressed Up... (part 2)

Well, are you ready! (Be sure & read the post below FIRST before continuing.)

When we pulled in, there were mostly men in the parking lot. They were all dressed very nicely... in American clothes... fancy, fancy suits. I noticed a few women. They had on very nice dresses... formals, like black tie formals...

I began to wonder if I was dressed appropriately.

Well, when we got inside I felt like a fish out of water. It wasn't enough that Olivia and I were the only WHITE people there besides Barbara from class, BUT we were almost the only ones wearing African clothing! I expected to be the only white people. That didn't bother me. BUT I felt pretty goofy wearing African clothing since it is pretty obvious that I'm not African. (Yes, I know there are white Africans. I have some friends who are white Africans, but you know what I mean.) I'd say 98% of the women were wearing American clothing. They were dressed very formally...like prom! So I was wearing cotton... and most women were wearing Satin. I was wearing a headdress and most of the women were wearing gorgeous hair styles!

Even though I felt pretty awkward, I just laughed. It was quite hilarious! I was wishing that I knew how to text so that I could text my siblings & tell them this funny story! Instead, Olivia & I just sat there & giggled in disbelief!

You might be wondering what part of the wedding we missed by arriving so late. Well, none of it of course! The church was only half full. Barbara arrived a little before five and the doors were still locked! No one walked down the aisle until almost 6:00, I think! How is that for African time?

Everyone looked so beautiful: the wedding party and the guests. They all complimented us on our dresses. I don't know if they were serious or just very kind.

Another surprise for me was the wedding ceremony. I was expecting something different. I was expecting something African. Honestly, I had no idea what African would be, but I was certain it would be different from what I'm used to.

Well, the ceremony had some differences, but for the most part, it seemed very American.
Here is a picture of the beautiful bride and her father. They walked down the aisle to a jazz song, I believe. All the attendants before her also walked down the aisle to a jazz song. I'm pretty sure that isn't an African tradition. I was also surprised that the ceremony was in English. French is their first language or main language, so I was shocked that they chose English for the ceremony. But it was nice for me since I don't understand French... unless they say Bonjour! =0)
The one thing that seemed very African was after the couple was announced "man & wife" they did not quickly rush down the aisle; instead, they kind of danced down the aisle with everyone cheering in an African way. Below is a very short video of that. There is another short video of one of the attendant couples leaving the front in the same dancing manner, followed by the flower girls and ring bearers, followed by family and guests. The way they walked down the aisle may not have been African, but the noises were African, I'm sure! It was such a fun atmosphere of celebration!

After the ceremony, we were graciously invited to the reception! I decided to go. Olivia & Virginia were game. Barbara went, too. Like any reception, there was a lot of waiting. Here a lot of French was spoken. Sometimes there was an interpreter. Sometimes there wasn't. We enjoyed some delicious African food. Even Olivia ate some. Finally, at 10 p.m. when Virginia started getting fussy from being so tired, I decided the responsible thing to do was leave. Unfortunately the dancing was just getting started. Olivia was so disappointed!

All in all, we had a GREAT time sharing in this time of celebration with these Congolese Africans! We were so thankful for their generosity and gracious spirits!

3 comments:

Adrian said...

I loved reading these past two posts. Your words have a way of capturing the very spirit of your journey and adventures along the way.

What a fun, crazy day! Your outfits were beautiful and I'm sure the wedding party/guests were very serious when they complimented you on your attire. I give you lots of kudos for trying!!

Ray and Sharon said...

We loved the pix too! What a fun time and what a great experience! One of many along your journey both from the past and into the future, no doubt. Praying for you and your daddy. Sending bunches of love and sunshine from TN.

Kelly said...

this is awesome mel. i wished the videos were longer so i could feel even more like i was there with you. hopefully your family can continue to savor these opportunities to meet new people and see another culture. it truly changes your perspective on things!
and i know what you mean about the running late and short walmart trips turning into much more.. ;)
love to all of you. :)